Saturday, May 3, 2014

Inspiration

Hello everyone, as I'm finishing composing the 9th track of my album, today it's about inspiration.

How does it come?
If I start here, it's simply because to my ears , inspiration is everywhere. Therefore the question is not finding inspiration, but capturing it.
The purpose of this article is mainly to tell you how I do.

In fact, if my inspiration is everywhere, I am not always sensitive to it. For example, it's impossible for me to create anything in the morning. Fatigue and stress are also situations that don't allow me to be inspired.
To do this, I must succeed in finding a trance state of mind, a moment when my spirit will come off of what is happening, wandering elsewhere.

Personally, ambient light has a lot to do with it. As soon as the ambient light changes , as night falls , or if a big storm comes, something happens. It is mainly for this reason that I work during the night. As I don't want to wait the night to come to start working, I manage to create a light atmosphere by pulling the curtains , closing blinds, and playing with lighting.
From there, I'm usually in optimal conditions to capture inspiration.

The question is now how to capture it.
The experience has made ​​me realize how important it is not to rely on my memory, so I only have two ways to remember what comes: audio and writing.

For writing, no secrets. I have a small Moleskine music notebook, never far from my wallet, to capture potential inspiration when I 'm not home.
At home, it's easier , I have music paper at hand, and I also use a ipad app called Noteshelf, and a stylus. The advantage of this software is that I can choose the paper on which I write, so I can have sheet music to write notes, but also standard pages to write chords or texts.

For audio, it's also very easy. If I 'm not home, I use the voice recorder on my phone, and I sing in it.
If I'm home , my recording software is usually ready to record.

What do I note ?
Usually, this is something I hear. It could be a melody, a chord progression, rhythm, orchestration. Most of the pieces I've made came from an idea that I had when hearing something.
For example, a dialog in a movie could make me imagine a landscape, which can inspire me a melody. In this case, I write the sentence, then what it inspires me ...

Now you know all about my relationship with inspiration. It sounds easy, but it should be mentioned that inspiration can be good or bad, and that even in good conditions to capture inspiration, I threw a lot of music paper, deleted recordings.

I know there are other artists reading this blog, feel free to comment and say how you get inspired.

See you next week !

No comments:

Post a Comment