Saturday, November 22, 2014

"Shadows" looking for its singer

Hello everyone!

As you know, all the instruments are recorded on the album, except one: vocals. Today, I tell you why I don't have a singer yet.

First, from the beginning, I don't want a French singer for several reasons, including the accent, and then the way of singing. I know that some people don't agree with me, but with the same technique, and similar voices, two singers from different countries will not sing in the same way. It turns out that I don't like the way French singers sing, at least for my album.

I spend a lot of time on Youtube listening to singers. I'm not looking for a specific voice, I just want that voice to make me feel the emotions of the song. I saw some very good singers, some very bad, and others that fit perfectly with what I wanted.

From there, I contact the singer and I expect her to reply me. If she doesn't reply, I usually contact her again a week later, by all means at my disposal (facebook, official sites, managers, etc). None of them answered me yet (I sent my first email in June).
For those of you who bought the EP, and who are dreaming about listening to the full album, you have to know that these singers have access to the whole album. No reasons to be jealous though, none of them listened to it!

So in these cases, I have to question myself and don't think all singers are rude.
In my emails, I think I'm respectful to the singers I contacted, but again, without any reply, no way to be sure.
I remain convinced that if people don't read my email or don't answer me, that is because I don't interest them (because of the double handicap cited below).

After a moment, I decide to contact someone else. That means I'm gonna spend several weeks to find another singer. I usually look for someone with a different voice from the previous singer, not to have any point of comparison.
It is a very exhausting process, since I have to find a voice that will suit my songs, although I already found one. And it's even more exhausting because I usually don't have any reply from the previous singer, so I still hope that she accepts ...

I know I have a double handicap: I'm not known, and I'm French. French music is generally associated with the accordion, you just have to watch a foreign film whose action takes place in France... However, I have nothing against accordionists, who also have to fight against this cliché. For those of you, not french, who read this blog, be aware that french music is not musette !

For now, I contacted 3 singers.
I first contacted a German singer, who never replied me, although I'm sure she got my emails.
I then contacted a Russian singer, with whom I chatted, but she never told me yes or no.
Three weeks ago, I contacted an English singer, Hannah Trigwell, I have no reply yet.

With the Russian singer, I did a video cover of one of her songs, which allowed me to strike up a conversation.

Today, I go further, I cover Rectify, a Hannah Trigwell's song, to try to have her attention and ask her if she is interested to sing on my album.

I'm pretty sure she will see at this video, and I hope she'll reply me.

Warning for you who read this blog, I'm sure Hannah will see this video, so no need to spam her about it or ask her to reply me. This is my personal initiative, I don't know if she'll like it, she can delete this video, she is allowed not to reply, or even refuse to sing on my abum or any reason.
But in the state where things are, "thank you for your interest, but I'm not interested" would be a short, yet polite reply, and that's all I ask.

Here's the video. Everything is performed and looped live:


Let's hope we'll have news about that soon, and of course, you'll know it !
I will surely do a video tutorial about the keyboard programming for this video.
See you next week !

No comments:

Post a Comment