Saturday, November 15, 2014

The virtual instruments that I use

Hi everyone!

Today, I want to talk about the virtual instruments I use in my compositions.

First, although it's not an instrument, my sequencer is Protools 9 (not HD). Although I am currently testing the demo of Reaper, I am quite attached to Protools. This version comes with a few virtual instruments that I use quite often.

Now, let's talk about the instruments:


First, for all general sounds, I use Xpand2, included with Protools. It has a lot of sounds. I use it a lot for synth pads or lead synths, some percussions or ethnic (koto, mandolin ...) I can also use it for bass, before recording a real one.





SYNTHS

If I quickly need a lead synth sound, I also use an instrument included with Protools: Vacuum. It has its own personality, with a very high volume, and it can do some really nice bass synth sounds.

For pads, I use the UVI Workstation with the String Machines bank. I discovered UVI this summer, and I'm now using 2 of their sound banks, I find them very usefull.
I use String Machines for these old polyphonic synths sounds. The sound bank is very complete, and editing functionalities are also great. Almost all pads of my upcoming album "Shadows" were made with this instrument.


PIANOS

For pianos, I use two instruments:
Until very recently, I used almost exclusively MiniGrand, included with Protools. Its doesn't really have any particular personality, but is very good. It is simple to use and quick to load.

A few weeks ago, I bought the bank "Grand Piano Collection" from UVI. That is the piano sound that I use since. The sound bank offers 5 pianos, quite uneven. I mostly use the "Acoustic piano," a sampled Steinway, and the "Upright Grand Piano".

All my EP that I released last week uses the "Acoustic Piano" sound.


ORCHESTRA

For all orchestral instruments, including strings, brass, woodwinds, orchestral percussions, I use Eastwest Symphonic Orchestra, Gold version.


It is this instrument that you can hear in all the orchestral musics of "The Visitor from the Future".
I also widely used taikos from this instrument.

PERCUSSIONS / DRUMS

This is surely where I use most of different instruments.
First, as previously stated, I love the taikos of Symphonic Orchestra and the bass drums.
For the 4th Season of "The Visitor from the Future," and some musics for "Frenchball", I used Stormdrum 3, from Eastwest, mainly for large percussions (such as those that can be heard in the teaser of the 4th season). I also used some small gongs and originals percussions, like the clocks. I love the sound and the visual interface of this instrument.

For electronic drums, I use two instruments:
Boom, included in Protools, allows me to quickly have sounds from old drum machines. It is easy to use and sounds good. I used it a lot each time I needed that kind of sounds (like in the track "Here We Go" from the 1st Season of VftF, "Dancing Future", the famous music of the ball in the 4th season...)

I also use Geist, from Fxpansion. It comes with a library of interesting sounds rather hip-hop and electro. I have not much used it as a drum machine, but I often use it as a sampler.

For acoustic drums, I use Superior Drummer 2.
I have all the sound banks. I mostly use the "Allaire" or "Avatar" banks, but on my album "Shadows", I exclusively use the "Music City" bank. The sound and dynamics are great, the settings are complete, there is everything you need to make great sounding drums!


So long for the virtual instruments, in a future article, I will tell you about the real instruments that I use!

No comments:

Post a Comment